Monday, December 17, 2012

17 - "All happy families are alike"

When mother said she had hired someone to "help out around the house" I knew she was sugarcoating. It turned out to be a 200 pound Mexican pack of muscles called Hernan, he never did much to help but she paid for his new car and they slow danced to Claire de Lune - it looked like a plane crash.

"You don't make her happy" I said to him once when we were alone. "All happy families are alike" he replied, "but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way". He quoted one of my favorite books and left me lost for words. Shortly after that he stopped coming around, mother was heartbroken for a week and never mentioned him again.




9 comments:

  1. Oooh, he sounds like a keeper. For reals though. I love Mexican guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The proper quote at the proper moment, expecially if unespetted, is so powerfull...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder why he left so soon... very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words, great quote. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
    http://aprettylife13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your story keep writing X

    CULTstyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once left a post-it note on a woman's car window. She was sleeping with my dad and neither would come out of the bedroom when I caught them in the act. I think she was scared of me.

    xx
    Lulu
    Breakfast After 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing is very interesting and heavy in a wonderful way.
    I really enjoyed reading the posts on your first page.
    xx a fellow writer,
    charles
    http://wearingwolf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this post earlier today.
    watched a french movie called Le hérisson (Hedgehog) tonight. this quote was spoken by the new elegant Japanese neighbor (in response to the janitor speaking about happy families).
    Amusing.

    ReplyDelete

Share