Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Varnishes

Most people confuse having money with being rich, I've been around mother long enough to know the difference. Those who think "my parents have a house in the Hamptons" is a pick-up line have money, they attend Sotheby's exhibitions for the white wine and wear their children as accessories. They are also the only people that are never unhappy, simply because they're one-dimensional, a pretty surface with nothing underneath.

The first thing you need to know about the rich is they never talk about money. They will never say things like "money can't buy you happiness" because they know better than to lie. What makes them really interesting is the perfect imperfections, the spotless façades and the way they effortlessly hide their anxieties under layers of Chanel and sand colored make-up.

I wouldn't be happier if mother wasn't rich, if I didn't have her wardrobe wonderland to dive into whenever the heart threatens to implode from the weight of my panic. It calms me down and makes me forget the outside for a while, which is all I could ever ask for.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share