Sunday, February 7, 2016

So we beat on

Florence was beautiful in a different way than I remembered. I'm somewhere else now, far away from him and the guilt, S kept me with her for almost a month. "I came for a wedding but stayed for the funeral" she said when we parted at the train station, her little smile a breath of both late summer and early spring.

We had fun, I forgot about Paris and slept for whole nights without the recurring nightmares. We spent hours at the Uffizi, then hours at Harry's Bar by the river close to Via Tornabouni before somehow making our way back to her apartment.  

She seems happier now, the way I remember her from years ago before the dark clouds and the chronic anxiety. I was sure that standing in front of the Annunciation again would remind me of easier times and I tried hard to feel something but I never did. Memories are fading still, my father's ghost slowly disintegrates like stardust.




10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finding some peace with S... and that the memories of your father are slowly fading.

    I wonder if Henry misses you... do you miss him... or is it easier apart...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to go to Florence, especially now that you've been added to the list of people who have called the place beautiful.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping on writing. I needed it so much today! I find peace in your words. They do magic.
    Nata

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in Florence last November. It really makes us forget where we come from, our life before, what waits for us...
    I want Florence again.

    (I'm Marta, from the Lip Gloss and Black photo, but I recently moved to my own website http://www.martacabralphoto.com/. Keep following my blog there)

    Marta*

    And save that stardust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to see what it's like one day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care. Florence is somehow humid and grey in February. But you are a strong girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Florence xx
    www.aliceinbloggersland.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had taken a break from blog reading for a while but I did mis this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmygosh this is brilliant. Florence is the #1 place I want to visit in Italy. Lucky you.

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete

Share