Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I am on your side

Today's outfit: his gray ribbed knit Jil Sander sweater. He bought it just before Christmas and only wore it once, yet it's hopelessly infused with the airy smell of his skin.

I've tried to describe him so many times, I want you to know what he looks like but whatever I write just comes out bland and misleading. All I see when I close my eyes and try to remember are the dehumanized little details, filtered through a soft morning light just before he left: collarbones, veins, eyelashes, shoulders. I wouldn't post pictures of him even if he wanted me to, it's not how I want to remember him when it ends.

My grandfather is forever captured in a snowstorm in Moscow's Red Square, the photograph makes the subtle fear in his eyes seem more tangible. It's beyond a simple memory, something that's infused in my mind and under Henry's sweater my skin smells of him.















Follow on Bloglovin





19 comments:

  1. The description is perfect. A picture would spoil it. The details are your breadcrumbs. They are deliberately frustrating because you will need them to find your way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like having my own idea of what Henry looks like, not sure he could live up to my imagination Avy... your writing entices me to fill in the blanks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoy the way you describe him. He looks wonderful in my imagination. Love the pictures.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah..No need pictures :) I hope you guys stay together forever. <3.i dont want this happiness to end for you..I hope he makes u happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather agree with Launna, though i do treasure your descriptions.
    I just love how a person's scent is eternally woven into the fibers of an article. My Maw Maw always made us kids afghans, and after all these years when i bundle up in them, i can still smell her perfume and fabric softener. Thus i can see her in her chair, her dog sleeping by her side the the late afternoon, crocheting to beat the band.

    ReplyDelete
  6. must wear this sweater more time :)
    dorey-doorey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, dont post photos of him, let's make him up inside our heads, let us stick to our imagination.... what are memories without scents, colors or sounds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love wearing a piece of clothing from somebody I love. I love smelling them and feeling them, even though they aren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still here, just sometimes in the shadows x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does this dude know the quality with which you write? Just kinda curious is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very inspiring.



    /
    christian | my blog : www.christianyuen.blogspot.com
    greetings from hong kong
    peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post!
    http://andreafdezpiedra.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/seccion-viajes-warner-bros-madrid.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure how to describe him?
    Describe his eyes. Windows to the soul, as they say.
    And for me? The eyes tell the whole story.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, photography is a cheap art. It tries to attain perfection with too little efforts! I also have pictures of the ones I care the most about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi sweatie! Love your way to edit that blog! I think it is so original! would you like to follow each other? xx

    www.shoppingmarbella.com

    ReplyDelete

Share