Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Like a poison

Twelve hours ago now: I come home from a walk, Chloe is away working late on a case for a clothing company. The apartment is dark and silent apart from the little lights twinkling in the ceiling, traces of traffic and movement outside.

I step into my room and out of my dress when I hear the shattering of glass on the marble floor in the kitchen, and for a fraction of a second it flashes before my eyes, flickering images like in a dream: first a house, lit up and covered in ivy, then a forest and another house, abandoned, worn down and sad in the middle of a summer meadow. It's late at night, I'm not there but I know that someone is, the only sound I hear is from a wind rattling the tree tops. He should be screaming but he's not.

I stand there in my room, paralyzed, listening to my own heartbeats and trying not to breathe. I hear footsteps in the hallway and it's just mother, returned from her trip to LA. "You know I don't like pink" she says, looking at what I'm wearing, and the tension in my body dissolves like a rain cloud. I hug her, close the door, pick up the phone and start dialing his number. He always answers with his name."This is Carl".









34 comments:

  1. ... I enjoy reading your posts... always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics!!
    Love your blog!!

    http://sweetcherryblogger.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am never sure if I'm reading a post or a story, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just breaking some china to ring in her return? Heh, oddly fitting, in some ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you write is fascinating. It feels so live-ly and its like I'm reading a suspense novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gaved me your tension. That felt amaizing.
    Love your blog.
    x

    / http://take-it-to-mars.blogspot.com \

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what Bathwater said. That's so true. And the picture, as always nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a boyfriend named Carl who answered the phone that exact same way. Not even kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you need to write a book seriously, your posts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, so interesting. I honestly feel you should make a book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should tell us more about your mother, how she interacts with you. Is Carl the same age as you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this mini story, it's so interesting..You're a wonderful writer that knows how to keep the attention of their audience..Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful writing and pictures :)
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is that you in the first picture? Even if just a silhouette, beautiful!

    Jessica | Vixenelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. your suggestions are great, bold and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. cool pictures!

    please check out my blog and, if you want, let's follow each other on GFC or Bloglovin' or both ;)

    www.LAByDiana.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. New post on our blog!
    http://switchthefashionblog.blogspot.it/2012/05/chic-vs-street.html

    Switch!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this and see the images passing in front of my eyes. beautifully described.
    Love the first photo.

    Take care and sleep well Avy!

    xxx
    Hang

    ReplyDelete
  19. schöner Blog, hast du lust auf gegenseitiges verfolgen? würde mich freuen, liebe Grüße ♥

    www.madamelisaaay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want you and carl. together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. awsome,wonderful blog !
    Big like <3

    !Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh you're so good at build up. I wish I had your flare for subtle detail.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The photos you've posted here evoke such a chilling sense of loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the photos:)
    Love your blog:)<3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing!!

    http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful blog and pics... I love it.
    gizemizmirli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. lovely photos!

    I have an ongoing giveaway on my blog, please join! :) xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have enjoyed seeing your photos, really they`re very good, I like them very much!!! kisses from Spain (Canary Island)

    ReplyDelete

Share