Saturday, April 7, 2012

Je suis encore tout étourdie

Easter, my first in New York. Mother takes me to the Met to see Manon, the tragic story of two lovers who defy the world but end up destroying each other. I'd like to think she's trying to tell me something. It's a matinee, in the spring sunshine the colorful Chagalls are covered up and the white stone facade with its tall arches looks less inviting, harder somehow.

We take our seats, mother dressed dramatically in flowing cascades of finest smoke black Italian silks, me in a gray pencil skirt and my highest heels. Just as the lights fade and the orchestra starts playing I turn to the right and time comes to a sudden halt the moment I see her, seven or eight seats away: the woman in black from the party. She doesn't look at me but I can't escape the eery feeling of being constantly watched. Between acts I follow her out into the lobby but lose her somewhere in the crowds, when we return her seat is empty and she doesn't come back.

The opera goes on like a machinery, in the final act the protagonist dies in the arms of her lover, singing  ...et c'est là l'histoire de Manon Lescaut. Mother gets up, almost loses her balance for a second but regains her posture, walks out beneath the arches and all the way home without saying a single word, eyes straight forward. I think she saw her too.



22 comments:

  1. WHO WAS....What happened?! AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORE MORE MORE MORE!!! D:
    http://rcmdblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manon is painfully beautiful, the amazing final can take your breath away.
    What happened with the woman?!
    Anyway, i wish you a happy NY easter.
    I always enjoy reading your blog and watching your
    photos too.
    Take care!

    Ay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you a very happy Easter, darling.
    LOVE your words as always..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my darling,sometimes your writing makes hitchcock like scenarios explode inside my head. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the mystery of the lady in black. I think this women is watching you, and she defenetely wants to say something important to you.
    My soul exults everytime I see a new post from you, on my dasboard. You should be famous.
    Wish you a very happy Easter, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing pics!

    x0x0

    BarcelonaBrunettes
    www.barcelonabrunettes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you had a great easter!

    i followed, support
    http://mylittlebones.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures. I always look everyday for a new post from you. Thank you for writing.


    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

    PS. We’ve a Gift Card Giveaway to LYLIF on our blog! Check it out, if you’d like :)

    ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

    LPFashionPhilosophy

    ReplyDelete
  11. J'adore ton blog, tes photos sont superbes, elles dégagent beaucoup d'émotions.
    J4adore
    Kiss
    Nores
    http://hennesalittlebirdtoldme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Play sounds intense :p
    -art a la rue xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. amazing pictures! especially the second one :)
    Love Lois xxx

    http://lisforlois.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. These tantalising glimpses, wreathed in mystery, reel me in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Manon not to long ago :)

    http://fizzvideo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha :) Me too. I like the first picture and I like your blog. :)

    Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice first pictures and nice blog ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. amazing photos
    http://adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Share