Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Winds from the west

Madison Avenue in the sunshine, I'm walking alone in a Burberry trench and sunglasses, feeling like a fortune. Lunch in solitude at Bloomingdales after browsing through sheer spring dresses and purple leather gloves to the clicking sound of heels on marble. The skies aren't just clear, they're limitless, nothing like that airtight glass ceiling that kept pushing me to the ground in LA and everywhere else.

And then I get back home. S is out, mother too, all I hear is a deafening silence as the afternoon sunshine dances over dusty book shelves, velvet-clad armchairs and ivory statuettes. An opened wine bottle on the coffee table, the dry smell of worn vintage blouses hanging from the closet doors.

I kick off my shoes, slip into the kitchen barefoot and there it is, like a bleeding wound on the counter next to the fridge: a letter, an thin envelope with my name in blackest ink. Even with a return address missing I know it's from him, no one else writes a capital A like that. He takes me back to the cold in ten seconds and I can't even bring myself to open it. Maybe tomorrow.

21 comments:

  1. You write so beautifully. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Cassie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. avy, it's a story i want to keep on reading. the heels on marble, glass ceiling vs. limitless sky, deafening silence, smell of vintage blouses. what's his name again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. I wish I was in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really want to go to NY:(
    hope some day I will be posting it on my blog too
    xx
    www.vnikali.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read through your entire blog tonight, from the very beginning, so that I would know the whole story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I can go to New York someday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a story? :O *reading all comments above* I will surely follow u, i want to read the story..:)

    and i agree with veren..>.< i want to go to NY someday..:D

    btw, thanks for visiting my blog~ :D

    http://thedawngoddess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I told you you're beautiful and it reflects through your words?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful. You write really really amazingly.
    You have this way with words!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you feel. You're a brave girl. You can definitely do it. Looking forward to the next part. Your climaxes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I'm new to your blog, that was WOW. The pictures you paint - glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, I love NY, want to go there again soo badly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, this is my first read of your blog - love your writing, www.daisydigital1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. great writing! Don't we all love NY?
    I had a great time there.

    Love,
    PurePreciousPerfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lovely style of writing, you make me want to read more. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, I will continue to read yours. We are visiting New York and Boston in September, from the UK with friends. I cannot wait, I have been lucky enough to visit before, but was totally overwhelmed the first time, so am excited to go back and see it through less tourist eyes and take my time. Anyway I have rambled enough. Lovely blog xxx

    http://oneforsorrowtwoforjoy-byemma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. My life isn't as glamorous as yours, but I am also from California and now living in New York--not the city though, upstate. I visit the city when I can. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Share