Sunday, January 1, 2012

Surviving a storm

Finally back home again, not from hell but somewhere close to it. Another night of listening to self-indulgent ramblings and moronic discussions about nothing at all. How can such rich people be so desperately uninteresting?

Mother talks for me, apparently my nodding and fake smiles don't do it for her. "Avy wants to study", she says, glancing at the Tom Clancy novels on the bookshelves. "She's considering law, such an ambitious girl". It's a lie, I nod again but no one bothers to ask any questions. They don't care.

I come to think of Carl, he would have fought this war for me with his subtle sarcasms. After three glasses of wine I call him from a dark room in the attic. He calms me down with his warm voice, asking me about tonight's outfit and how I wear my hair. "I think we'll be leaving soon" I say just as mother comes to tell me we're spending the night, me in the son's room of course.

I consider sleeping in my YSL dress but decide not to wrinkle it. "You can borrow something from me" he says, so I end up in my panties and an Abercrombie & Fitch T-shirt. It's the ultimate embarrassment and I dream about snow storms.

20 comments:

  1. Must not've been that pleasant for you.
    You'll have better days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... just ahh. Lovely life you have. Hope your surviving the dry spell... It'll be better someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have a wonderful new year honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the picture!!

    Happy New Year, Avy! Stay Blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hy, i'm visit from sumatera indonesian, . .
    nice your blog, make fress my eyes now..

    ha ha ha visit back to mya blog, oke..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounded like a dreary night.
    I always love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Another night of listening to self-indulgent ramblings and moronic discussions about nothing at all. How can such rich people be so desperately uninteresting?".. LOVED that line, and not only rich people become uninteresting, I think the worst ones are the douches that want to desperately to fit in among rich people... your writings always inspire some sort of illustration in my mind.. that's what I do.. I paint and illustrate (on my blog).. let me know if you'd want me to sketch one of your stories, I'd love too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha.. I just saw your comment.. awesome then..I'll send you the illustration to your email.. stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for interest :). The questions are about the ambition and special qualities of blogs and if they could be a part of journalism..
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!

    Follow me: optimuscouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your shoes!! :D

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you write, I am following you. Things will get better. Kisses <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is nothing more irksome then self-indulgent ramblings, I have to listen to those often. you narrate your life so beautifully. it will get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sometimes it's good to know someone would help fight the war, even if they're only there in spirit. it can be tough fighting the battle when you feel like it's yours alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your writing style is so intriguing. I love it.

    http://southandstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Share