Thursday, November 10, 2011

Runaway train never going back

Sitting on the roof of our house, under the stardust late at night, I come to think of what he said about flying. He told me about his childhood and how he would climb up on the roof of his family's house and just sit there alone for hours. The sky would change over his head, summer clouds would come and go while he listened to the silence and the whispering wind in the trees behind him. He said he felt free and imprisoned at the same time, like the heavens were open if he had only had wings to fly with. He told me how close he came to trying anyway, that maybe it would all be worth if just for that hundredth of a second where you defy gravity.

Under the stardust late at night I can feel it too, and it makes the blood freeze in my veins.

In mother's diary:

78-11-15

We're on the train now, after two whole days of controls, questions and phone calls we were finally allowed to leave Moscow. I lay awake at night just watching him sleep, listening to the sound of him breathing and the steel tracks beneath us. We could be going anywhere, I wouldn't care, just being close to him is enough, but I wish I could get over this quiet anxiety. I see it in his eyes sometimes when he looks out the window, as if he's not really watching that harsh landscape that's rapidly passing outside in the dark. His mind is somewhere else and I can't go there with him, at least not yet. If he would only let me in, but I guess I'm not making it easier by never asking what he's thinking of. Maybe tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. are we all imprisoned in our mind? is that why when we sleep, so many of us fly in our dreams, arms flapping, running & jumping into the air. if only we could runaway from our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words can't even begin to describe how much I love this....
    We all wish we can defy gravity at one time or another. It's when the wishing turns to actually defying when it gets ugly.
    I love the diary entry, it makes me sort of nostalgic in a way.
    Beautiful photo, dear.

    ♥Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting contrasts between freedom and confinement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine you are as beautiful as your words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you think you should at LEEEST change the blog title to 'MyMumMadeLoveTo'?? (they're English). Lookit ‘MySoulAccomplishment’ - God only gives bawls to those who see the need for humility. God blessa youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a SUPER weekend ! OK, it's almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very satisfying as always: the entries, your thoughts and prose.
    sitting on the roof is so underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing.
    Just found your blog, and I am already hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice blog!follow us if u like our blog and we will follow you!:) s4sisterstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Share