Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Not a mean spirit, not a kind soul

I'm terrible at being mean to people, and I seriously consider that a weakness. I can be cold and distant but never openly unkind. On the other hand I'm equally bad at showing people my honest affection, no matter how much they deserve it. I sometimes come off as arrogant when I'm really just a little apathetic.

Mom came home late last night, I was still up when she staggered in around 1, crying and smelling of alcohol. Amidst the frantic sobbing I picked up a word or two and read between the lines to understand the context. Someone had called her "old" over drinks, a remark that's more than a slap in the face when it comes to my poor mother.

I really wanted to say something comforting, just because I had the upper hand, but I could only think of one thing as I buried my head in her white Givenchy overcoat and gave her a technical hug: this cashmere is so incredibly soft.

10 comments:

  1. Avy, just thinking of the words to comfort her makes you a kind soul. hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if anything you could say would have been as comforting to her as that hug and your presence. You did more good than you may realize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes a big and genuine hug is much more than all the comforting words in the world
    I hope your mom is doing fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes hugs comfort much more than words :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the capacity to be rather cruel to people, sometimes for no reason. It's not as fun as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... I actually know what that is like


    picklesinmyass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...it's the thought that counts...




    (was that cashmere really that soft?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. and what else could she do, but attempt to change the subject?

    ReplyDelete

Share