Thursday, May 26, 2011

Start spreading the word

My father found New York to be everything he ever dreamed of and immediately started fantasizing about his future life there. He had always thought he would stay there forever, but fate wanted otherwise. He never planned to fall in love and if he hadn't he would probably still be alive. But then of course I wouldn't exist. It's the little things.

He had wandered the streets looking for a job and a place to stay when he was picked up by a group of young musicians living in Brooklyn. They took him in on the promise that he would work as a manager for them, finding gigs and establishing contacts with people in the recording industry. For a foreigner who didn't know anyone in New York he wasn't the obvious choice for the job, but he didn't complain.

During the following couple of weeks he spent more time at parties than he thought was humanly possible. One had the theme "black & white" after Truman Capote's legendary ball, people walked around in heavy clouds of pot smoke in their underwear and elaborate Venetian masks. He had the time of his life.

At 3 in the morning, as he was spinning around in the middle of a crowded dance floor, someone came up to him from behind, put a light hand on his shoulder and shouted in his ear: Do you like Mick Jagger?

10 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Fashion Confessions of a Mommy. You have a beautiful writing voice. Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great blog! if you could stop by mine i REALLY need your help with the most recent blog post. I'd really apprieciate your help! :)

    follow me?
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this song too. And your writing is beautiful as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amaziiiiing blog!! And no I don't like Mick, but I do love all his songs xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blog is very intriguing!! thanks for stopping by mine, follow each other?

    http://thecoquetiquette.blogspot.com/

    xo,
    amy leah
    the coquetiquette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this song <3

    http://mesconfessionsparisiennes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know a girl who was named after the song "angie." she said, "thanks parents for naming me after a prostitute." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore this song.
    If it's music your after, have a cheeky peek at my blog. i ramble a lot about music and the gigs i go to.
    your blog seems very interesting! I'm going to follow you if you don't mind.
    maybe if my blog is as good you'll follow me?
    have a look :)
    http://irrational-happenings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Share