Sunday, February 6, 2011

Inheritance

I got so much from him, but it's only now that I fully realize it. And I still don't know where he got it all from, if he was born like that or if the society that he lived in shaped him with its razor sharp prejudices and social norms. One quality I recognize from him, in myself, is the ever so lingering ambivalence. I sometimes wake up with no power at all, not feeling sad or lonely but just apathetic. It's not that anything in particular made me feel that way, I just lose the drive to change whatever situation I'm in and accept my fate. I know he sometimes felt the same way, that he never wanted anything else than to leave his native town and find a better life, but at times he would just give up, for a day or two. Luckily - as with me - he soon after found that spark again, got up on his feet and made things happen. He finally got all the way to America, but not before having lived through many days of wanting to do or feel absolutely nothing.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful prose as always. You are so eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying these posts..very interesting. I love your writing. ♥

    xx,
    ~Abby~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling, your writing is like efedrine <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. of thank you.
    thank you for letting me find you, your words - sparkle!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You (and he) are not the only ones. I'll take the "...got up on his feet and..." part to heart today. Thank you Avy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Dearest, you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that you, in the photo? It is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Love, You're still amazing. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey sweet, your writing is just beautiful... thanks for commenting on my blog, otherwise i would never have found yours :)

    ♥new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your post is great cz amazing pic..
    would u like follow me?
    exchange...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what a beautiful picture this is,
    and great writing!

    ReplyDelete

Share